I made this gluten free quinoa, broccoli ( that’s the only veggie left before another market run) and cheese bake tonight for dinner and it was delicious. Saw the original recipe Moni’s Quinoa Mac n’ Cheese but I changed some things a little bit. It tasted pretty darn good to me so I thought I would share this one!
Here is what I did:
Serving Size: 6-8
Ingredients I used:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med. leek white and pale green parts halved and sliced ( 1cup)
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained (OR you can just use pre-cooked and cut back on the water and cooking time)
- good pinch of mixed up salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of water (or vegetable stock)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups Feta/ Goat/ Parmesan cheese
- Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
- Heat oil in med. saucepan over med. heat. Add leek and tomatoes (or bell peppers-or any veggies you want really); cover and cook 5 mins or until tender. Stir in quinoa and garlic, and cook, uncovered, 3-4 mins, or until grains start to turn opaque. (They will not fully be cooked yet.)
- Add 3 cups water (or stock) and season withmixed up s salt and pepper . Cover and reduce heat to med-low and simmer 15-20 mins or more, (depends and also what kind of quinoa you use) or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 13×9 inch dish with cooking spray. Whisk together eggs and milk in large bowl. Fold in quinoa mixture and cheese (if you feel you need more cheese, add here.) Stir very well and let some of the cheese melt. (Will seem a little “soupy”, do not worry, it will all mold together.)
- You can also sprinkle a bit more cheese on now. Bake 25-35 mins, (or until browned around edges.)
- Remove and serve hot.