Kale and Brussels Sprouts with Tahini-Maple dressing
- 1 bunch of curly green kale
- 12 brussels sprouts (about 2 big handfuls’ worth)
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan (use a vegetable peeler to shave the cheese into little strips)
- dash of sea salt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- Use a chef’s knife to cut out the ribs of the kale leaves. Chop the kale into small, bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle a dash of sea salt over the kale and use your hands to massage the kale by lightly scrunching handfuls of kale in your hands. Release and repeat until the kale becomes darker in color and more fragrant. Transfer the kale to a medium serving bowl.
- Chop off and discard the stem end of the brussels sprouts and any discolored outer leaves. Slice the sprouts as thin as possible, then use your fingers to break up any clumps. Add the sprouts to the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the tahini, vinegar, maple syrup. Whisk in the water until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the kale and sprouts and mix well.
- In a small pan over medium heat, toast the almond slivers, stirring frequently, until fragrant and turning golden (this will take less than five minutes so watch carefully). Add the toasted almonds and parmesan shavings to the salad and toss. Serve immediately.